Employer and Hiring Information
Are you an employer? Do you have to register as an employer? Once registered, what are you required to do? Here you can find information to help you answer these questions and more.
The following resources provide descriptions of employers, employees, independent contractors, wages, and more:
- Payroll Taxes: Frequently Asked Questions
- California Employer’s Guide (PDF)
- Employee Determination Guide (PDF)
- IRS: Independent Contractor or Employee?
If you are an employer, you are required to register as one. Refer to the following resources for information about registering as an employer:
- Am I Required to Register as an Employer?
- Employer Services Online: Manage your employer payroll tax account online.
In California, all employers must post various notices in the workplace. Refer to the following resources for more information:
- Department of Industrial Relations: Workplace Postings
- Employment Development Department: Required Notices and Pamphlets
- Secretary of State: “Time off to Vote” Notices
- U.S. Department of Labor: Posters and Recordkeeping
The following state and federal resources can help you post jobs and hire employees.
Department of Industrial Relations
U.S. Department of Labor
- Employment Laws Assistance for Workers & Small Business
- Employment Law Guide
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Labor Charges: California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
Rates, Withholding Schedules, and Meals and Lodging Values: Employment Development Department