Closing, Selling, or Changing Your Business
The following information is for employers who are closing or selling their business, or changing its structure. Refer to the state and federal agencies below for assistance.
Employment Development Department
Visit Changes to Your Business for information on reporting changes if you no longer have employees, are closing, reopening, purchasing, or selling a business.
California Department of Tax and Fee Administration
Whenever you buy, sell, or discontinue a business, you need to contact the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration. Review the following for more information:
- Permits & Licenses: Refer to “Buying, Selling, or Discontinuing a Business.”
- Obtaining a Seller’s Permit: Refer to “If I am no longer in business, can I keep my seller’s permit?”
- Closing Out Your Seller’s Permit (PDF)
- Notice of Closeout for Seller’s Permit (PDF)
- Your California Seller’s Permit (PDF): Refer to pages 6-7 for information about reporting requirements when changing your business structure.
- Notice of Business Change
U.S. Small Business Administration
- How to Buy a Business
- How to Close or Sell a Business
- Transferring Management in the Family-Owned Business